Reaction: shikimate + NADP+ = 3-dehydroshikimate + NADPH + H+
For diagram click here.
Other name(s): dehydroshikimic reductase; shikimate oxidoreductase; shikimate:NADP+ oxidoreductase; 5-dehydroshikimate reductase; shikimate 5-dehydrogenase; 5-dehydroshikimic reductase; DHS reductase; shikimate:NADP+ 5-oxidoreductase; AroE
Systematic name: shikimate:NADP+ 3-oxidoreductase
Comments: NAD+ cannot replace NADP+ . In higher organisms, this enzyme forms part of a multienzyme complex with EC 18.104.22.168, 3-dehydroquinate dehydratase .
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, GTD, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 9026-87-3
1. Balinsky, D. and Davies, D.D. Aromatic biosynthesis in higher plants. 1. Preparation and properties of dehydroshikimic reductase. Biochem. J. 80 (1961) 292-296. [PMID: 13686342]
2. Mitsuhashi, S. and Davis, B.D. Aromatic biosynthesis. XIII. Conversion of quinic acid to 5-dehydroquinic acid by quinic dehydrogenase. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 15 (1954) 268-280. [PMID: 13208693]
3. Yaniv, H. and Gilvarg, C. Aromatic biosynthesis. XIV. 5-Dehydroshikimic reductase. J. Biol. Chem. 213 (1955) 787-795. [PMID: 14367339]
4. Chaudhuri, S. and Coggins, J.R. The purification of shikimate dehydrogenase from Escherichia coli. Biochem. J. 226 (1985) 217-223. [PMID: 3883995]
5. Anton, I.A. and Coggins, J.R. Sequencing and overexpression of the Escherichia coli aroE gene encoding shikimate dehydrogenase. Biochem. J. 249 (1988) 319-326. [PMID: 3277621]
6. Ye, S., Von Delft, F., Brooun, A., Knuth, M.W., Swanson, R.V. and McRee, D.E. The crystal structure of shikimate dehydrogenase (AroE) reveals a unique NADPH binding mode. J. Bacteriol. 185 (2003) 4144-4151. [PMID: 12837789]