Reaction: 6-phospho-D-gluconate + NADP+ = D-ribulose 5-phosphate + CO2 + NADPH + H+
For diagram of reaction click here.
Other name(s): phosphogluconic acid dehydrogenase; 6-phosphogluconic dehydrogenase; 6-phosphogluconic carboxylase; 6-phosphogluconate dehydrogenase (decarboxylating); 6-phospho-D-gluconate dehydrogenase
Systematic name: 6-phospho-D-gluconate:NADP+ 2-oxidoreductase (decarboxylating)
Comments: The enzyme participates in the oxidative branch of the pentose phosphate pathway, whose main purpose is to produce NADPH and pentose for biosynthetic reactions. Highly specific for NADP+. cf. EC 220.127.116.113, phosphogluconate dehydrogenase (NAD+-dependent, decarboxylating).
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, GTD, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 9073-95-4
1. Dickens, F. and Glock, G.E. Direct oxidation of glucose-6-phosphate, 6-phosphogluconate and pentose-5-phosphate by enzymes of animal origin. Biochem. J. 50 (1951) 81-95. [PMID: 14904376]
2. Pontremoli, S., de Flora, A., Grazi, E., Mangiarotti, G., Bonsignore, A. and Horecker, B.L. Purification and properties of β-L-hydroxy acid dehydrogenase. II. Isolation of β-keto-L-gluconic acid, an intermediate in L-xylulose biosynthesis. J. Biol. Chem. 236 (1961) 2975-2980. [PMID: 14487824]
3. Scott, D.B.M. and Cohen, S.S. The oxidative pathway of carbohydrate metabolism in Escherichia coli. 1. The isolation and properties of glucose 6-phosphate dehydrogenase and 6-phosphogluconate dehydrogenase. Biochem. J. 55 (1953) 23-33. [PMID: 13093611]
4. Scott, D.B.M. and Cohen, S.S. The oxidative pathway of carbohydrate metabolism in Escherichia coli. 5. Isolation and identification of ribulose phosphate produced from 6-phosphogluconate by the dehydrogenase of E. coli. Biochem. J. 65 (1957) 686-689. [PMID: 13426085]
5. Bridges, R.B., Palumbo, M.P. and Wittenberger, C.L. Purification and properties of an NADP-specific 6-phosphogluconate dehydrogenase from Streptococcus faecalis. J. Biol. Chem. 250 (1975) 6093-6100. [PMID: 238996]
6. Yoon, H., Anderson, C.D. and Anderson, B.M. Kinetic studies of Haemophilus influenzae 6-phosphogluconate dehydrogenase. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 994 (1989) 75-80. [PMID: 2783298]
7. Zamboni, N., Fischer, E., Laudert, D., Aymerich, S., Hohmann, H.P. and Sauer, U. The Bacillus subtilis yqjI gene encodes the NADP+-dependent 6-P-gluconate dehydrogenase in the pentose phosphate pathway. J. Bacteriol. 186 (2004) 4528-4534. [PMID: 15231785]