Reaction: sn-glycerol 3-phosphate + NAD+ = glycerone phosphate + NADH + H+
Glossary: glycerone phosphate = dihydroxyacetone phosphate = 3-hydroxy-2-oxopropyl phosphate
Other name(s): α-glycerol phosphate dehydrogenase (NAD); α-glycerophosphate dehydrogenase (NAD); glycerol 1-phosphate dehydrogenase; glycerol phosphate dehydrogenase (NAD); glycerophosphate dehydrogenase (NAD); hydroglycerophosphate dehydrogenase; L-α-glycerol phosphate dehydrogenase; L-α-glycerophosphate dehydrogenase; L-glycerol phosphate dehydrogenase; L-glycerophosphate dehydrogenase; NAD-α-glycerophosphate dehydrogenase; NAD-dependent glycerol phosphate dehydrogenase; NAD-dependent glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase; NAD-L-glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase; NAD-linked glycerol 3-phosphate dehydrogenase; NADH-dihydroxyacetone phosphate reductase; glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase (NAD)
Systematic name: sn-glycerol-3-phosphate:NAD+ 2-oxidoreductase
Comments: Also acts on propane-1,2-diol phosphate and glycerone sulfate (but with a much lower affinity).
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, GTD, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 9075-65-4
1. Baranowski, T. α-Glycerophosphate dehydrogenase. In: Boyer, P.D., Lardy, H. and Myrbäck, K. (Eds.), The Enzymes, 2nd ed., vol. 7, Academic Press, New York, 1963, pp. 85-96.
2. Brosemer, R.W. and Kuhn, R.W. Comparative structural properties of honeybee and rabbit α-glycerophosphate dehydrogenases. Biochemistry 8 (1969) 2095-2105. [PMID: 4307630]
3. O'Brien, S.J. and MacIntyre, R.J. The α-glycerophosphate cycle in Drosophila melanogaster. I. Biochemical and developmental aspects. Biochem. Genet. 7 (1972) 141-161. [PMID: 4340553]
4. Warkentin, K.L. and Fondy, T.P. Isolation and characterization of cytoplasmic L-glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase from rabbit-renal-adipose tissue and its comparison with the skeletal-muscle enzyme. Eur. J. Biochem. 36 (1973) 97-109. [PMID: 4200180]
5. Albertyn, J., van Tonder, A. and Prior, B.A. Purification and characterization of glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEBS Lett. 308 (1992) 130-132. [PMID: 1499720]
6. Koekemoer, T.C., Litthauer, D. and Oelofsen, W. Isolation and characterization of adipose tissue glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase. Int. J. Biochem. Cell. Biol. 27 (1995) 625-632. [PMID: 7671141]