Reaction: an (S)-2-hydroxy carboxylate + O2 = a 2-oxo carboxylate + H2O2
Other name(s): glycolate oxidase; hydroxy-acid oxidase A; hydroxy-acid oxidase B; glycolate oxidase; oxidase, L-2-hydroxy acid; hydroxyacid oxidase A; L-α-hydroxy acid oxidase; L-2-hydroxy acid oxidase
Systematic name: (S)-2-hydroxy-acid:oxygen 2-oxidoreductase
Comments: A flavoprotein (FMN). Exists as two major isoenzymes; the A form preferentially oxidizes short-chain aliphatic hydroxy acids, and was previously listed as EC 184.108.40.206, glycolate oxidase; the B form preferentially oxidizes long-chain and aromatic hydroxy acids. The rat isoenzyme B also acts as EC 220.127.116.11, L-amino-acid oxidase.
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 9028-71-1
1. Blanchard, M., Green, D.E., Nocito-Carroll, V. and Ratner, S. l-Hydroxy acid oxidase. J. Biol. Chem. 163 (1946) 137-144.
2. Frigerio, N.A. and Harbury, H.A. Preparation and some properties of crystalline glycolic acid oxidase of spinach. J. Biol. Chem. 231 (1958) 135-157.
3. Kun, E., Dechary, J.M. and Pitot, H.C. The oxidation of glycolic acid by a liver enzyme. J. Biol. Chem. 210 (1954) 269-280.
4. Nakano, M. and Danowski, T.S. Crystalline mammalian L-amino acid oxidase from rat kidney mitochondria. J. Biol. Chem. 241 (1966) 2075-2083. [PMID: 5946631]
5. Nakano, M., Ushijima, Y., Saga, M., Tsutsumi, Y. and Asami, H. Aliphatic L-α-hydroxyacid oxidase from rat livers: purification and properties. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 167 (1968) 9-22. [PMID: 5686300]
6. Phillips, D.R., Duley, J.A., Fennell, D.J. and Holmes, R.S. The self-association of L-alpha hydroxyacid oxidase. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 427 (1976) 679-687. [PMID: 1268224]
7. Schuman, M. and Massey, V. Purification and characterization of glycolic acid oxidase from pig liver. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 227 (1971) 500-520. [PMID: 5569122]
8. Jones, J.M., Morrell, J.C. and Gould, S.J. Identification and characterization of HAOX1, HAOX2, and HAOX3, three human peroxisomal 2-hydroxy acid oxidases. J. Biol. Chem. 275 (2000) 12590-12597. [PMID: 10777549]