Reaction: (1) taurochenodeoxycholate + NADPH + H+ + O2 = taurohyocholate + NADP+ + H2O
(2) lithocholate + NADPH + H+ + O2 = hyodeoxycholate + NADP+ + H2O
For diagram click here.
Glossary: taurochenodeoxycholic acid = N-(3α,7α-dihydroxy-5β-cholan-24-oyl)taurine
taurohyocholic acid = N-(3α,6α,7α-trihydroxy-5β-cholan-24-oyl)taurine
hyodeoxycholate = 3α,6α-dihydroxy-5β-cholanoate
Other name(s): CYP3A4; CYP4A21; taurochenodeoxycholate 6α-monooxygenase
Systematic name: taurochenodeoxycholate,NADPH:oxygen oxidoreductase (6α-hydroxylating)
Comments: A heme-thiolate protein (P-450). Requires cytochrome b5 for maximal activity. Acts on taurochenodeoxycholate, taurodeoxycholate and less readily on lithocholate and chenodeoxycholate. In adult pig (Sus scrofa), hyocholic acid replaces cholic acid as a primary bile acid .
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 105669-85-0
1. Araya, Z. and Wikvall, K. 6α-Hydroxylation of taurochenodeoxycholic acid and lithocholic acid by CYP3A4 in human liver microsomes. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1438 (1999) 47-54. [PMID: 10216279]
2. Araya, Z., Hellman, U. and Hansson, R. Characterisation of taurochenodeoxycholic acid 6α-hydroxylase from pig liver microsomes. Eur. J. Biochem. 231 (1995) 855-861. [PMID: 7649186]
3. Kramer, W., Sauber, K., Baringhaus, K.H., Kurz, M., Stengelin, S., Lange, G., Corsiero, D., Girbig, F., Konig, W. and Weyland, C. Identification of the bile acid-binding site of the ileal lipid-binding protein by photoaffinity labeling, matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-mass spectrometry, and NMR structure. J. Biol. Chem. 276 (2001) 7291-7301. [PMID: 11069906]
4. Lundell, K., Hansson, R. and Wikvall, K. Cloning and expression of a pig liver taurochenodeoxycholic acid 6α-hydroxylase (CYP4A21): a novel member of the CYP4A subfamily. J. Biol. Chem. 276 (2001) 9606-9612. [PMID: 11113117]
5. Lundell, K. and Wikvall, K. Gene structure of pig sterol 12α-hydroxylase (CYP8B1) and expression in fetal liver: comparison with expression of taurochenodeoxycholic acid 6α-hydroxylase (CYP4A21). Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1634 (2003) 86-96. [PMID: 14643796]
6. Russell, D.W. The enzymes, regulation, and genetics of bile acid synthesis. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 72 (2003) 137-174. [PMID: 12543708]