Reaction: acetaldehyde + CoA + NAD+ = acetyl-CoA + NADH + H+
For diagram of reaction click here and another click here and another.
Other name(s): aldehyde dehydrogenase (acylating); ADA; acylating acetaldehyde dehyrogenase; DmpF
Systematic name: acetaldehyde:NAD+ oxidoreductase (CoA-acetylating)
Comments: Also acts, more slowly, on glycolaldehyde, propanal and butanal. In several bacterial species this enzyme forms a bifunctional complex with EC 18.104.22.168, 4-hydroxy-2-oxovalerate aldolase. The enzymes from the bacteria Burkholderia xenovorans and Thermus thermophilus also perform the reaction of EC 22.214.171.124, propanal dehydrogenase (propanoylating). Involved in the meta-cleavage pathway for the degradation of phenols, methylphenols and catechols. NADP+ can replace NAD+ but the rate of reaction is much slower .
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, GTD, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 9028-91-5
1. Burton, R.M. and Stadtman, E.R. The oxidation of acetaldehyde to acetyl coenzyme A. J. Biol. Chem. 202 (1953) 873-890. [PMID: 13061511]
2. Smith, L.T. and Kaplan, N.O. Purification, properties, and kinetic mechanism of coenzyme A-linked aldehyde dehydrogenase from Clostridium kluyveri. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 203 (1980) 663-675. [PMID: 7458347]
3. Powlowski, J., Sahlman, L. and Shingler, V. Purification and properties of the physically associated meta-cleavage pathway enzymes 4-hydroxy-2-ketovalerate aldolase and aldehyde dehydrogenase (acylating) from Pseudomonas sp. strain CF600. J. Bacteriol. 175 (1993) 377-385. [PMID: 8419288]
4. Baker, P., Pan, D., Carere, J., Rossi, A., Wang, W. and Seah, S.Y.K. Characterization of an aldolase-dehydrogenase complex that exhibits substrate channeling in the polychlorinated biphenyls degradation pathway. Biochemistry 48 (2009) 6551-6558. [PMID: 19476337]
5. Baker, P., Hillis, C., Carere, J. and Seah, S.Y.K. Protein-protein interactions and substrate channeling in orthologous and chimeric aldolase-dehydrogenase complexes. Biochemistry 51 (2012) 1942-1952. [PMID: 22316175]