Reaction: pyruvate + CoA + 2 oxidized ferredoxin = acetyl-CoA + CO2 + 2 reduced ferredoxin + 2 H+
For diagram of reaction click here.
Other name(s): pyruvate oxidoreductase; pyruvate synthetase; pyruvate:ferredoxin oxidoreductase; pyruvic-ferredoxin oxidoreductase; 2-oxobutyrate synthase; α-ketobutyrate-ferredoxin oxidoreductase; 2-ketobutyrate synthase; α-ketobutyrate synthase; 2-oxobutyrate-ferredoxin oxidoreductase; 2-oxobutanoate:ferredoxin 2-oxidoreductase (CoA-propionylating); 2-oxobutanoate:ferredoxin 2-oxidoreductase (CoA-propanoylating)
Systematic name: pyruvate:ferredoxin 2-oxidoreductase (CoA-acetylating)
Comments: Contains thiamine diphosphate and [4Fe-4S] clusters. The enzyme also decarboxylates 2-oxobutyrate with lower efficiency, but shows no activity with 2-oxoglutarate. This enzyme is a member of the 2-oxoacid oxidoreductases, a family of enzymes that oxidatively decarboxylate different 2-oxoacids to form their CoA derivatives, and are differentiated based on their substrate specificity. For examples of other members of this family, see EC 184.108.40.206, 2-oxoglutarate synthase and EC 220.127.116.11, 3-methyl-2-oxobutanoate dehydrogenase (ferredoxin).
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, PDB, Metacyc, CAS registry number: 9082-51-3
1. Evans, M.C.W. and Buchanan, B.B. Photoreduction of ferredoxin and its use in carbon dioxide fixation by a subcellular system from a photosynthetic bacterium. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 53 (1965) 1420-1425. [PMID: 5217644]
2. Gehring, U. and Arnon, D.I. Purification and properties of α-ketoglutarate synthase from a photosynthetic bacterium. J. Biol. Chem. 247 (1972) 6963-6969. [PMID: 4628267]
3. Uyeda, K. and Rabinowitz, J.C. Pyruvate-ferredoxin oxidoreductase. 3. Purification and properties of the enzyme. J. Biol. Chem. 246 (1971) 3111-3119. [PMID: 5574389]
4. Uyeda, K. and Rabinowitz, J.C. Pyruvate-ferredoxin oxidoreductase. IV. Studies on the reaction mechanism. J. Biol. Chem. 246 (1971) 3120-3125. [PMID: 4324891]
5. Charon, M.-H., Volbeda, A., Chabriere, E., Pieulle, L. and Fontecilla-Camps, J.C. Structure and electron transfer mechanism of pyruvate:ferredoxin oxidoreductase. Curr. Opin. Struct. Biol. 9 (1999) 663-669. [PMID: 10607667]