Reaction: succinate + a quinone = fumarate + a quinol
For diagram of reaction click here.
Other name(s): succinate dehydrogenase (ubiquinone); succinic dehydrogenase; complex II (ambiguous); succinate dehydrogenase complex; SDH; succinate:ubiquinone oxidoreductase
Systematic name: succinate:quinone oxidoreductase
Comments: A flavoprotein (FAD) complex containing iron-sulfur centres. The enzyme is found in the inner mitochondrial membrane in eukaryotes and the plasma membrane of many aerobic or facultative bacteria. It catalyses succinate oxidation in the citric acid cycle and transfers the electrons to quinones in the membrane, thus constituting a part of the aerobic respiratory chain (known as complex II). In vivo the enzyme uses the quinone found in the organism - eukaryotic enzymes utilize ubiquinone, bacterial enzymes utilize ubiquinone or menaquinone, and archaebacterial enzymes from the Sulfolobus genus use caldariellaquinone cf. EC 22.214.171.124, fumarate reductase (quinone).
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, MetaCyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 9028-11-9
1. Kita, K., Vibat, C.R., Meinhardt, S., Guest, J.R. and Gennis, R.B. One-step purification from Escherichia coli of complex II (succinate: ubiquinone oxidoreductase) associated with succinate-reducible cytochrome b556. J. Biol. Chem. 264 (1989) 2672-2677. [PMID: 2644269]
2. Hatefi, Y., Ragan, C.I. and Galante, Y.M. The enzymes and the enzyme complexes of the mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation system. In: Martonosi, A. (Ed.), The Enzymes of Biological Membranes, 2nd edn, vol. 4, Plenum Press, New York, 1985, pp. 1-70.
3. Moll, R. and Schafer, G. Purification and characterisation of an archaebacterial succinate dehydrogenase complex from the plasma membrane of the thermoacidophile Sulfolobus acidocaldarius. Eur. J. Biochem. 201 (1991) 593–600. [PMID: 1935955]
4. Figueroa, P., Leon, G., Elorza, A., Holuigue, L., Araya, A. and Jordana, X. The four subunits of mitochondrial respiratory complex II are encoded by multiple nuclear genes and targeted to mitochondria in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Mol. Biol. 50 (2002) 725-734. [PMID: 12374303]
5. Cecchini, G. Function and structure of complex II of the respiratory chain. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 72 (2003) 77-109. [PMID: 14527321]
6. Oyedotun, K.S. and Lemire, B.D. The quaternary structure of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae succinate dehydrogenase. Homology modeling, cofactor docking, and molecular dynamics simulation studies. J. Biol. Chem. 279 (2004) 9424-9431. [PMID: 14672929]
7. Kurokawa, T. and Sakamoto, J. Purification and characterization of succinate:menaquinone oxidoreductase from Corynebacterium glutamicum. Arch. Microbiol. 183 (2005) 317-324. [PMID: 15883782]