Reaction: NADH + ubiquinone + 5 H+in = NAD+ + ubiquinol + 4 H+out
Other name(s): ubiquinone reductase; type 1 dehydrogenase; complex 1 dehydrogenase; coenzyme Q reductase; complex I (electron transport chain); complex I (mitochondrial electron transport); complex I (NADH:Q1 oxidoreductase); dihydronicotinamide adenine dinucleotide-coenzyme Q reductase; DPNH-coenzyme Q reductase; DPNH-ubiquinone reductase; mitochondrial electron transport complex 1; mitochondrial electron transport complex I; NADH coenzyme Q1 reductase; NADH-coenzyme Q oxidoreductase; NADH-coenzyme Q reductase; NADH-CoQ oxidoreductase; NADH-CoQ reductase; NADH-ubiquinone reductase; NADH-ubiquinone oxidoreductase; NADH-ubiquinone-1 reductase; reduced nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide-coenzyme Q reductase; NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase complex; NADH-Q6 oxidoreductase; electron transfer complex I; NADH2 dehydrogenase (ubiquinone)
Systematic name: NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase
Comments: A flavoprotein (FMN) containing iron-sulfur clusters. The complex is present in mitochondria and aerobic bacteria. Breakdown of the complex can release EC 126.96.36.199, NADH dehydrogenase. In photosynthetic bacteria, reversed electron transport through this enzyme can reduce NAD+ to NADH.
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 9028-04-0
1. Hatefi, Y., Ragan, C.I. and Galante, Y.M. The enzymes and the enzyme complexes of the mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation system. In: Martonosi, A. (Ed.), The Enzymes of Biological Membranes, 2nd edn, vol. 4, Plenum Press, New York, 1985, pp. 1-70.
2. Herter, S.M., Kortluke, C.M. and Drews, G. Complex I of Rhodobacter capsulatus and its role in reverted electron transport. Arch. Microbiol. 169 (1998) 98-105. [PMID: 9446680]
3. Hunte, C., Zickermann, V. and Brandt, U. Functional modules and structural basis of conformational coupling in mitochondrial complex I. Science 329 (2010) 448-451. [PMID: 20595580]
4. Efremov, R.G., Baradaran, R. and Sazanov, L.A. The architecture of respiratory complex I. Nature 465 (2010) 441-445. [PMID: 20505720]
5. Wikstrom, M. and Hummer, G. Stoichiometry of proton translocation by respiratory complex I and its mechanistic implications. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 109 (2012) 4431–4436. [PMID: 22392981]