Reaction: (1) S-adenosyl-L-methionine + a 5-hydroxyfurocoumarin = S-adenosyl-L-homocysteine + a 5- methoxyfurocoumarin (general reaction)
(2) S-adenosyl-L-methionine + bergaptol = S-adenosyl-L-homocysteine + bergapten
For diagram click here.
Glossary: bergaptol = 5-hydroxypsoralen
O-methylbergaptol = bergapten = 5-methoxypsoralen
Other name(s): furanocoumarin 5-methyltransferase; furanocoumarin 5-O-methyltransferase; bergaptol 5-O-methyltransferase; bergaptol O-methyltransferase; bergaptol methyltransferase; S-adenosyl-L-methionine:bergaptol O-methyltransferase; BMT; S-adenosyl-L-methionine:5-hydroxyfuranocoumarin 5-O-methyltransferase
Systematic name: S-adenosyl-L-methionine:5-hydroxyfurocoumarin 5-O-methyltransferase
Comments: Converts bergaptol into bergapten, which has therapeutic potential in the treatment of psoriasis as it has photosensitizing and antiproliferative activities . The enzyme methylates the 5-hydroxy group of some hydroxy- and methylcoumarins, such as 5-hydroxyxanthotoxin , but has little activity on non-coumarin phenols . Caffeate, 5-hydroxyferulate and daphnetin are not substrates . Cu2+, Zn2+ and Co2+ cause enzyme inhibition . (see also EC 22.214.171.124, 8-hydroxyfuranocoumarin 8-O-methyltransferase)
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, CAS registry number: 67339-12-2, 101637-31-4
1. Thompson, H.J., Sharma, S.K. and Brown, S.A. O-Methyltransferases of furanocoumarin biosynthesis. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 188 (1978) 272-281. [PMID: 28084]
2. Sharma, S.K., Garrett, J.M. and Brown, S.A. Separation of the S-adenosylmethionine: 5- and 8-hydroxyfuranocoumarin O-methyltransferases of Ruta graveolens L. by general ligand affinity chromatography. Z. Naturforsch. [C] 34C (1979) 387-391. [PMID: 156999]
3. Hauffe, K.D., Hahlbrock, K. and Scheel, D. Elicitor-stimulated furanocoumarin biosynthesis in cultured parsley cells - S-adenosyl-L-methionine-bergaptol and S-adenosyl-L-methionine-xanthotoxol O-methyltransferases. Z. Naturforsch. C: Biosci. 41 (1986) 228-239.
4. Hehmann, M., Lukacin, R., Ekiert, H. and Matern, U. Furanocoumarin biosynthesis in Ammi majus L. Cloning of bergaptol O-methyltransferase. Eur. J. Biochem. 271 (2004) 932-940. [PMID: 15009205]