Reaction: acetyl-CoA + an [acyl-carrier protein] = CoA + an acetyl-[acyl-carrier protein]
For diagram click here.
Other name(s): acetyl coenzyme A-acyl-carrier-protein transacylase; [acyl-carrier-protein]acetyltransferase; [ACP]acetyltransferase; ACAT
Systematic name: acetyl-CoA:[acyl-carrier protein] S-acetyltransferase
Comments: This enzyme, along with EC 18.104.22.168, [acyl-carrier-protein] S-malonyltransferase, is essential for the initiation of fatty-acid biosynthesis in bacteria. The substrate acetyl-CoA protects the enzyme against inhibition by N-ethylmaleimide or iodoacetamide . This is one of the activities associated with β-ketoacyl-ACP synthase III (EC 22.214.171.124) .
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 37257-16-2
1. Prescott, D.J. and Vagelos, P.R. Acyl carrier protein. Adv. Enzymol. Relat. Areas Mol. Biol. 36 (1972) 269-311. [PMID: 4561013]
2. Vance, D.E., Mituhashi, O. and Bloch, K. Purification and properties of the fatty acid synthetase from Mycobacterium phlei. J. Biol. Chem. 248 (1973) 2303-2309. [PMID: 4698221]
3. Williamson, I.P. and Wakil, S.J. Studies on the mechanism of fatty acid synthesis. XVII. Preparation and general properties of acetyl coenzyme A and malonyl coenzyme A-acyl carrier protein transacylases. J. Biol. Chem. 241 (1966) 2326-2332. [PMID: 5330116]
4. Lowe, P.N. and Rhodes, S. Purification and characterization of [acyl-carrier-protein] acetyltransferase from Escherichia coli. Biochem. J. 250 (1988) 789-796. [PMID: 3291856]
5. Tsay, J.T., Oh, W., Larson, T.J., Jackowski, S. and Rock, C.O. Isolation and characterization of the β-ketoacyl-acyl carrier protein synthase III gene (fabH) from Escherichia coli K-12. J. Biol. Chem. 267 (1992) 6807-6814. [PMID: 1551888]
6. Rangan, V.S. and Smith, S. Alteration of the substrate specificity of the malonyl-CoA/acetyl-CoA:acyl carrier protein S-acyltransferase domain of the multifunctional fatty acid synthase by mutation of a single arginine residue. J. Biol. Chem. 272 (1997) 11975-11978. [PMID: 9115261]