Reaction: 2 a 1,2-diacyl-3-O-(β-D-galactosyl)-sn-glycerol = a 1,2-diacyl-3-O-[α-D-galactosyl-(1→6)-β-D-galactosyl]-sn-glycerol + a 1,2-diacyl-sn-glycerol
For diagram click here.
Other name(s): galactolipid-galactolipid galactosyltransferase; galactolipid:galactolipid galactosyltransferase; interlipid galactosyltransferase; GGGT; DGDG synthase (ambiguous); digalactosyldiacylglycerol synthase (ambiguous)
Systematic name: 3-(β-D-galactosyl)-1,2-diacyl-sn-glycerol:mono-3-(β-D-galactosyl)-1,2-diacyl-sn-glycerol β-D-galactosyltransferase
Comments: By further transfers of galactosyl residues to the digalactosyldiacylglycerol, trigalactosyldiacylglycerol and tetragalactosyldiacylglycerol are also formed. This enzyme was originally thought to be the major enzyme involved in the production of digalactosyldiacylglycerol in plants as it masked the effect of the true enzyme (EC 184.108.40.206, digalactosyldiacylglycerol synthase) [4,5]. Its activity is localized to chloroplast envelope membranes, but it does not contribute to net galactolipid synthesis in plants .
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, CAS registry number: 66676-74-2
1. Dorne, A.-J., Block, M.A., Joyard, J. and Douce, R. The galactolipid-galactolipid galactosyltransferase is located on the outer surface of the outer-membrane of the chloroplast envelope. FEBS Lett. 145 (1982) 30-34.
2. Heemskerk, J.W.M., Wintermans, J.F.G.M., Joyard, J., Block, M.A., Dorne, A.-J. and Douce, R. Localization of galactolipid:galactolipid galactosyltransferase and acyltransferase in outer envolope membranes of spinach chloroplasts. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 877 (1986) 281-289.
3. Heemskerk, J.W.M., Jacobs, F.H.H. and Wintermans, J.F.G.M. UDPgalactose-independent synthesis of monogalactosyldiacylglycerol. An enzymatic activity of the spinach chloroplast envelope. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 961 (1988) 38-47.
4. Kelly, A.A., Froehlich, J.E. and Dörmann, P. Disruption of the two digalactosyldiacylglycerol synthase genes DGD1 and DGD2 in Arabidopsis reveals the existence of an additional enzyme of galactolipid synthesis. Plant Cell 15 (2003) 2694-2706. [PMID: 14600212]
5. Benning, C. and Ohta, H. Three enzyme systems for galactoglycerolipid biosynthesis are coordinately regulated in plants. J. Biol. Chem. 280 (2005) 2397-2400. [PMID: 15590685]