Reaction: ADP-glucose + [(1→4)-α-D-glucosyl]n = ADP + [(1→4)-α-D-glucosyl]n+1
Other name(s): ADP-glucosestarch glucosyltransferase; adenosine diphosphate glucose-starch glucosyltransferase; adenosine diphosphoglucose-starch glucosyltransferase; ADP-glucose starch synthase; ADP-glucose synthase; ADP-glucose transglucosylase; ADP-glucose-starch glucosyltransferase; ADPG starch synthetase; ADPG-starch glucosyltransferase; starch synthetase; ADP-glucose:1,4-α-D-glucan 4-α-D-glucosyltransferase
Systematic name: ADP-glucose:(1→4)-α-D-glucan 4-α-D-glucosyltransferase
Comments: The accepted name varies according to the source of the enzyme and the nature of its synthetic product, e.g. starch synthase, bacterial glycogen synthase. Similar to EC 220.127.116.11 [glycogen(starch) synthase] but the preferred or mandatory nucleoside diphosphate sugar substrate is ADP-glucose. The entry covers starch and glycogen synthases utilizing ADP-glucose.
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 9030-10-8, 37338-93-5
1. Chambers, J.C. and Elbein, A.D. Biosynthesis of glucans in mung bean seedlings. Formation of β-(1,4)-glucans from GDP-glucose and β-(1,3)-glucans from UDP-glucose. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 138 (1970) 620-631. [PMID: 4317490]
2. Frydman, R.B. and Cardini, C.E. Studies on adenosine diphosphate D-glucose: α-1,4-glucan α-4-glucosyltransferase of sweet-corn endosperm. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 96 (1965) 294-303. [PMID: 14298833]
3. Greenberg, E. and Preiss, J. Biosynthesis of bacterial glycogen. II. Purification and properties of the adenosine diphosphoglucose:glycogen transglucosylase of arthrobacter species NRRL B1973. J. Biol. Chem. 240 (1965) 2341-2348. [PMID: 14304835]
4. Leloir, L.F., de Fekete, M.A. and Cardini, C.E. Starch and oligosaccharide synthesis from uridine diphosphate glucose. J. Biol. Chem. 236 (1961) 636-641. [PMID: 13760681]
5. Preiss, J., Govins, S., Eidels, L., Lammel, C., Greenberg, E., Edelmann, P. and Sabraw, A. Regulatory mechanisms in the biosynthesis of α-1,4-glucans in bacteria and plants. In: Whelan, W.J. and Schultz, J. (Eds.), Miami Winter Symposia, vol. 1, North Holland, Utrecht, 1970, p. 122-138.