Reaction: geranylgeranyl diphosphate + sn-glycerol 1-phosphate = diphosphate + 3-(O-geranylgeranyl)-sn-glycerol 1-phosphate
For diagram of reaction, click here
Glossary: sn-glyceryl phosphate = sn-glycerol 1-phosphate = (S)-2,3-dihydroxypropyl dihydrogen phosphate
Other name(s): glycerol phosphate geranylgeranyltransferase; geranylgeranyl-transferase (ambiguous); prenyltransferase (ambiguous); (S)-3-O-geranylgeranylglyceryl phosphate synthase; (S)-geranylgeranylglyceryl phosphate synthase; GGGP synthase; (S)-GGGP synthase; GGGPS; geranylgeranyl diphosphate:sn-glyceryl phosphate geranylgeranyltransferase; geranylgeranyl diphosphate:sn-glycerol-1-phosphate geranylgeranyltransferase
Systematic name: geranylgeranyl-diphosphate:sn-glycerol-1-phosphate geranylgeranyltransferase
Comments: This cytosolic enzyme catalyses the first pathway-specific step in the biosynthesis of the core membrane diether lipids in archaebacteria . Requires Mg2+ for maximal activity . It catalyses the alkylation of the primary hydroxy group in sn-glycerol 1-phosphate by geranylgeranyl diphosphate (GGPP) in a prenyltransfer reaction where a hydroxy group is the nucleophile in the acceptor substrate . The other enzymes involved in the biosynthesis of polar lipids in Archaea are EC 220.127.116.111 (sn-glycerol-1-phosphate dehydrogenase), EC 18.104.22.168 (geranylgeranylglycerol-phosphate geranylgeranyltransferase) and EC 22.214.171.124 (CDP-archaeol synthase), which lead to the formation of CDP-unsaturated archaeol. The final step in the pathway involves the addition of L-serine, with concomitant removal of CMP, leading to the production of unsaturated archaetidylserine .
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 124650-69-7
1. Zhang, D.-L., Daniels, L. and Poulter, C.D. Biosynthesis of archaebacterial membranes. Formation of isoprene ethers by a prenyl transfer reaction. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 112 (1990) 1264-1265.
2. Chen, A., Zhang, D. and Poulter, C.D. (S)-Geranylgeranylglyceryl phosphate synthase. Purification and characterization of the first pathway-specific enzyme in archaebacterial membrane lipid biosynthesis. J. Biol. Chem. 268 (1993) 21701-21705. [PMID: 8408023]
3. Nemoto, N., Oshima, T. and Yamagishi, A. Purification and characterization of geranylgeranylglyceryl phosphate synthase from a thermoacidophilic archaeon, Thermoplasma acidophilum. J. Biochem. 133 (2003) 651-657. [PMID: 12801917]
4. Payandeh, J., Fujihashi, M., Gillon, W. and Pai, E.F. The crystal structure of (S)-3-O-geranylgeranylglyceryl phosphate synthase reveals an ancient fold for an ancient enzyme. J. Biol. Chem. 281 (2006) 6070-6078. [PMID: 16377641]
5. Morii, H., Nishihara, M. and Koga, Y. CTP:2,3-di-O-geranylgeranyl-sn-glycero-1-phosphate cytidyltransferase in the methanogenic archaeon Methanothermobacter thermoautotrophicus. J. Biol. Chem. 275 (2000) 36568-36574. [PMID: 10960477]