Reaction: diphosphate + D-fructose 6-phosphate = phosphate + D-fructose 1,6-bisphosphate
For diagram of reaction click here.
Other name(s): 6-phosphofructokinase (pyrophosphate); pyrophosphate-fructose 6-phosphate 1-phosphotransferase; inorganic pyrophosphate-dependent phosphofructokinase; inorganic pyrophosphate-phosphofructokinase; pyrophosphate-dependent phosphofructo-1-kinase; pyrophosphate-fructose 6-phosphate phosphotransferase
Systematic name: diphosphate:D-fructose-6-phosphate 1-phosphotransferase
Comments: The enzyme catalyses a similar reaction to EC 18.104.22.168, 6-phosphofructokinase, but utilizes diphosphate instead of ATP as the the phosphate donor. It has been described in higher plants, primitive eukaryotes, bacteria, and archaea.
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, GTD, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 55326-40-4
1. Reeves, R.E., Serrano, R. and South, D.J. 6-Phosphofructokinase (pyrophosphate). Properties of the enzyme from Entamoeba histolytica and its reaction mechanism. J. Biol. Chem. 251 (1976) 2958-2962. [PMID: 178659]
2. Reeves, R.E., South, D.J., Blytt, H.J. and Warren, L.G. Pyrophosphate:D-fructose 6-phosphate 1-phosphotransferase. A new enzyme with the glycolytic function of 6-phosphofructokinase. J. Biol. Chem. 249 (1974) 7737-7741. [PMID: 4372217]
3. Carlisle, S.M., Blakeley, S.D., Hemmingsen, S.M., Trevanion, S.J., Hiyoshi, T., Kruger, N.J. and Dennis, D.T. Pyrophosphate-dependent phosphofructokinase. Conservation of protein sequence between the α- and β-subunits and with the ATP-dependent phosphofructokinase. J. Biol. Chem. 265 (1990) 18366-18371. [PMID: 2170409]
4. Ladror, U.S., Gollapudi, L., Tripathi, R.L., Latshaw, S.P. and Kemp, R.G. Cloning, sequencing, and expression of pyrophosphate-dependent phosphofructokinase from Propionibacterium freudenreichii. J. Biol. Chem. 266 (1991) 16550-16555. [PMID: 1653240]
5. Siebers, B., Klenk, H.P. and Hensel, R. PPi-dependent phosphofructokinase from Thermoproteus tenax, an archaeal descendant of an ancient line in phosphofructokinase evolution. J. Bacteriol. 180 (1998) 2137-2143. [PMID: 9555897]