Reaction: ATP + RNAn = diphosphate + RNAn+1
Other name(s): NTP polymerase; RNA adenylating enzyme; AMP polynucleotidylexotransferase; ATP-polynucleotide adenylyltransferase; ATP:polynucleotidylexotransferase; poly(A) polymerase; poly(A) synthetase; polyadenylate nucleotidyltransferase; polyadenylate polymerase; polyadenylate synthetase; polyadenylic acid polymerase; polyadenylic polymerase; terminal riboadenylate transferase; poly(A) hydrolase; RNA formation factors, PF1; adenosine triphosphate:ribonucleic acid adenylyltransferase
Systematic name: ATP:polynucleotide adenylyltransferase
Comments: Also acts slowly with CTP. Catalyses template-independent extension of the 3'- end of a DNA strand by one nucleotide at a time. Cannot initiate a chain de novo. The primer, depending on the source of the enzyme, may be an RNA or DNA fragment, or oligo(A) bearing a 3'-OH terminal group. See also EC 184.108.40.206 DNA-directed RNA polymerase.
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 9026-30-6
1. August, J.T., Ortiz, P.J. and Hurwitz, J. Ribonucleic acid-dependent ribonucleotide incorporation. I. Purification and properties of the enzyme. J. Biol. Chem. 237 (1962) 3786-3793.
2. Edmonds, M. and Abrams, R. Polynucleotide biosynthesis: formation of a sequence of adenylate units from adenosine triphosphate by an enzyme from thymus nuclei. J. Biol. Chem. 235 (1960) 1142-1149.
3. Gottesman, M.E. and Canellakis, E.S. The terminal nucleotidyltransferases of calf thymus nuclei. J. Biol. Chem. 241 (1966) 4339-4352. [PMID: 4288534]
4. Krakow, J.S., Coutsogeorgopoulos, C. and Canellakis, E.S. Studies on the incorporation of deoxyribonucleic acid. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 55 (1962) 639-650.
5. Mans, R.J. and Walter, T.J. Transfer RNA-primed oligoadenylate synthesis in maize seedlings. II. Primer, substrate and metal specificities and size of product. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 247 (1971) 113-121. [PMID: 4946277]
6. Sheldon, R., Jurale, C. and Kates, J. Detection of polyadenylic acid sequences in viral and eukaryotic RNA(polu(U)-cellulose columns-poly(U) filters-fiberglass-HeLa cells-bacteriophage T4). Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 69 (1972) 417-421. [PMID: 4501121]