Reaction: (1) 3'-phosphoadenylyl sulfate + glycolithocholate = adenosine 3',5'-bisphosphate + glycolithocholate 3-sulfate
(2) 3'-phosphoadenylyl sulfate + taurolithocholate = adenosine 3',5'-bisphosphate + taurolithocholate sulfate
For diagram click here or here.
Glossary: 3'-phosphoadenylyl sulfate = PAPS
glycolithocholate sulfate = N-(3α-sulfooxy-5β-cholan-24-oyl)glycine
Other name(s): BAST I; bile acid:3'-phosphoadenosine-5'-phosphosulfate sulfotransferase; bile salt:3'phosphoadenosine-5'-phosphosulfate:sulfotransferase; bile acid sulfotransferase I; glycolithocholate sulfotransferase
Systematic name: 3'-phosphoadenylyl-sulfate:glycolithocholate sulfotransferase
Comments: The formation of sulfate esters of bile acids is an essential step in the prevention of toxicity by monohydroxy bile acids in many species . This enzyme is both a bile salt and a 3-hydroxysteroid sulfotransferase. In addition to the 5β-bile acid glycolithocholate, deoxycholate, 3β-hydroxy-5-cholenoate and dehydroepiandrosterone (3β-hydroxyandrost-5-en-17-one) also act as substrates [see also EC 184.108.40.206 (alcohol sulfotransferase) and EC 220.127.116.11 (glycochenodeoxycholate sulfotransferase)]. May be identical to EC 18.104.22.168 .
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 65802-92-8
1. Chen, L.-J., Bolt, R.J. and Admirand, W.H. Enzymatic sulfation of bile salts. Partial purification and characterization of an enzyme from rat liver that catalyzes the sulfation of bile salts. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 480 (1977) 219-227. [PMID: 831833]
2. Barnes, S., Waldrop, R., Crenshaw, J., King, R.J. and Taylor, K.B. Evidence for an ordered reaction mechanism for bile salt: 3'phosphoadenosine-5'-phosphosulfate: sulfotransferase from rhesus monkey liver that catalyzes the sulfation of the hepatotoxin glycolithocholate. J. Lipid Res. 27 (1986) 1111-1123. [PMID: 3470420]
3. Barnes, S., Buchina, E.S., King, R.J., McBurnett, T. and Taylor, K.B. Bile acid sulfotransferase I from rat liver sulfates bile acids and 3-hydroxy steroids: purification, N-terminal amino acid sequence, and kinetic properties. J. Lipid Res. 30 (1989) 529-540. [PMID: 2754334]
4. Russell, D.W. The enzymes, regulation, and genetics of bile acid synthesis. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 72 (2003) 137-174. [PMID: 12543708]