Reaction: nucleoside 2',3'-cyclic phosphate + H2O = nucleoside 2'-phosphate
Other name(s): cyclic-CMP phosphodiesterase; 2',3'-cyclic AMP phosphodiesterase; cyclic 2',3'-nucleotide 3'-phosphodiesterase; cyclic 2',3'-nucleotide phosphodiesterase; 2',3'-cyclic nucleoside monophosphate phosphodiesterase; 2',3'-cyclic nucleotide 3'-phosphohydrolase; CNPase; 2',3'-cyclic nucleotide phosphohydrolase; 2':3'-cyclic nucleotide 3'-phosphodiesterase; 2':3'-CNMP-3'-ase
Systematic name: nucleoside-2',3'-cyclic-phosphate 2'-nucleotidohydrolase
Comments: The brain enzyme acts on 2',3'-cyclic AMP more rapidly than on the UMP or CMP derivatives. An enzyme from liver acts on 2',3'-cyclic CMP more rapidly than on the purine derivatives; it also hydrolyses the corresponding 3',5'-cyclic phosphates, but more slowly. This latter enzyme has been called cyclic-CMP phosphodiesterase.
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 60098-35-3
1. Drummond, G.I., Iyer, N.T. and Keith, J. Hydrolysis of ribonucleoside 2',3'-cyclic phosphates by a diesterase from brain. J. Biol. Chem. 237 (1962) 3535-3539.
2. Helfman, D.M. and Kuo, J.F. A homogeneous cyclic CMP phosphodiesterase hydrolyzes both pyrimidine and purine cyclic 2':3'- and 3':5'-nucleotides. J. Biol. Chem. 257 (1982) 1044-1047. [PMID: 6274851]
3. Helfman, D.M., Shoji, M. and Kuo, J.F. Purification to homogeneity and general properties of a novel phosphodiesterase hydrolyzing cyclic CMP and cyclic AMP. J. Biol. Chem. 256 (1981) 6327-6334. [PMID: 6263914]
4. Kurihara, T., Nishizawa, Y., Takahashi, Y. and Odani, S. Chemical, immunological and catalytic properties of 2':3'-cyclic nucleotide 3'-phosphodiesterase purified from brain white matter. Biochem. J. 195 (1981) 153-157. [PMID: 6272743]
5. Nishizawa, Y., Kurihara, T. and Takahashi, Y. Spectrophotometric assay, solubilization and purification of brain 2':3'-cyclic nucleotide 3'-phosphodiesterase. Biochem. J. 191 (1980) 71-82. [PMID: 6258586]