Reaction: Random endohydrolysis of (1→3)-β-D-glycosidic linkages in (1→3)-β-D-xylans
Other name(s): xylanase (ambiguous); endo-1,3-β-xylosidase (misleading); 1,3-β-xylanase; 1,3-xylanase; β-1,3-xylanase; endo-β-1,3-xylanase; 1,3-β-D-xylan xylanohydrolase; xylan endo-1,3-β-xylosidase
Systematic name: 3-β-D-xylan xylanohydrolase
Comments: This enzyme is found mostly in marine bacteria, which break down the β(1,3)-xylan found in the cell wall of some green and red algae. The enzyme produces mainly xylobiose, xylotriose and xylotetraose.
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 9025-55-2
1. Chen, W.P., Matsuo, M. and Tsuneo, Y. Purification and some properties of β-1,3-xylanase from Aspergillus terreus A-07. Agric. Biol. Chem. 50 (1986) 1183-1194.
2. Aoki, T., Araki, T. and Kitamikado, M. Purification and characterization of an endo-β-1,3-xylanase from Vibrio species. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 54 (1988) 277-281.
3. Araki, T., Tani, S., Maeda, K., Hashikawa, S., Nakagawa, H. and Morishita, T. Purification and characterization of β-1,3-xylanase from a marine bacterium, Vibrio sp. XY-214. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 63 (1999) 2017-2019. [PMID: 10635569]
4. Araki, T., Inoue, N. and Morishita, T. Purification and characterization of β-1,3-xylanase from a marine bacterium, Alcaligenes sp. XY-234. J. Gen. Appl. Microbiol. 44 (1998) 269-274. [PMID: 12501421]
5. Okazaki, F., Shiraki, K., Tamaru, Y., Araki, T. and Takagi, M. The first thermodynamic characterization of β-1,3-xylanase from a marine bacterium. Protein J. 24 (2005) 413-421. [PMID: 16328734]