Reaction: A nucleoside diphosphate + H2O = a nucleoside phosphate + phosphate
Other name(s): thiaminpyrophosphatase; UDPase; inosine diphosphatase; adenosine diphosphatase; IDPase; ADPase; adenosinepyrophosphatase; guanosine diphosphatase; guanosine 5'-diphosphatase; inosine 5'-diphosphatase; uridine diphosphatase; uridine 5'-diphosphatase; type B nucleoside diphosphatase; GDPase; CDPase; nucleoside 5'-diphosphatase; type L nucleoside diphosphatase; NDPase; nucleoside diphosphate phosphohydrolase; nucleoside-diphosphatase
Systematic name: nucleoside-diphosphate phosphohydrolase
Comments: The enzyme, which appears to be limited to metazoa, acts on multiple nucleoside diphosphates as well as on D-ribose 5-diphosphate. Specificity depends on species and isoform.
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 9027-69-4
1. Gibson, D.M., Ayengar, P. and Sanadi, D.R. A phosphatase specific for nucleoside diphosphates. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 16 (1955) 536-538.
2. Horecker, B.L., Hurwitz, J. and Heppel, L.A. The synthesis of ribose 5-pyrophosphate and ribose 5-triphosphate. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 79 (1957) 701-702.
3. Yeung, G., Mulero, J.J., McGowan, D.W., Bajwa, S.S. and Ford, J.E. CD39L2, a gene encoding a human nucleoside diphosphatase, predominantly expressed in the heart. Biochemistry 39 (2000) 12916-12923. [PMID: 11041856]
4. Failer, B.U., Braun, N. and Zimmermann, H. Cloning, expression, and functional characterization of a Ca(2+)-dependent endoplasmic reticulum nucleoside diphosphatase. J. Biol. Chem. 277 (2002) 36978-36986. [PMID: 12167635]
5. Uccelletti, D., O'Callaghan, C., Berninsone, P., Zemtseva, I., Abeijon, C. and Hirschberg, C.B. ire-1-dependent transcriptional up-regulation of a lumenal uridine diphosphatase from Caenorhabditis elegans. J. Biol. Chem. 279 (2004) 27390-27398. [PMID: 15102851]