Reaction: ATP + H2O + capsular polysaccharidein = ADP + phosphate + capsular polysaccharideout
Systematic name: ATP phosphohydrolase (capsular-polysaccharide-exporting)
Comments: ABC-type (ATP-binding cassette-type) ATPase, characterised by the presence of two similar ATP-binding domains. Does not undergo phosphorylation during the transport process. An enzyme that exports capsular polysaccharide from Gram-negative bacteria.
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, CAS registry number:
1. Fath, M.J. and Kolter, R. ABC transporters: bacterial exporters. Microbiol. Rev. 57 (1993) 995-1017. [PMID: 8302219]
2. Paulsen, I.T., Beness, A.M. and Saier, M.H., Jr. Computer-based analysis of the protein constituents of transport systems catalysing export of complex carbohydrates in bacteria. Microbiology 143 (1997) 2685-2699. [PMID: 9274022]
3. Pigeon, R.P. and Silver, R.P. Analysis of the G93E mutant allele of KpsM, the membrane component of an ABC transporter involved in polysialic acid translocation in Escherichia coli K1.FEMS. Microbiol. Lett. 156 (1997) 217-222. [PMID: 9513268]
4. Saier, M.H., Jr. Molecular phylogeny as a basis for the classification of transport proteins from bacteria, archaea and eukarya. Adv. Microb. Physiol. 40 (1998) 81-136. [PMID: 9889977]
5. Griffiths, J.K. and Sansom, C.E. The Transporter Factsbook, Academic Press, San Diego, 1998.