Reaction: (24R,25R)-3α,7α,12α,24-tetrahydroxy-5β-cholestanoyl-CoA = (24E)-3α,7α,12α-trihydroxy-5β-cholest-24-enoyl-CoA + H2O
For diagram click here.
Other name(s): 46 kDa hydratase 2; (24R,25R)-3α,7α,12α,24-tetrahydroxy-5β-cholestanoyl-CoA hydro-lyase
Systematic name: (24R,25R)-3α,7α,12α,24-tetrahydroxy-5β-cholestanoyl-CoA hydro-lyase [(24E)-3α,7α,12α-trihydroxy-5β-cholest-24-enoyl-CoA-forming]
Comments: This enzyme forms part of the rat peroxisomal multifunctional enzyme perMFE-2, which also exhibits a dehydrogenase activity. The enzyme is involved in the β-oxidation of the cholesterol side chain in the cholic-acid-biosynthesis pathway.
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 152787-68-3
1. Qin, Y.M., Haapalainen, A.M., Conry, D., Cuebas, D.A., Hiltunen, J.K. and Novikov, D.K. Recombinant 2-enoyl-CoA hydratase derived from rat peroxisomal multifunctional enzyme 2: role of the hydratase reaction in bile acid synthesis. Biochem. J. 328 (1997) 377-382. [PMID: 9371691]
2. Xu, R. and Cuebas, D.A. The reactions catalyzed by the inducible bifunctional enzyme of rat liver peroxisomes cannot lead to the formation of bile acids. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 221 (1996) 271-278. [PMID: 8619845]
3. Kinoshita, T., Miyata, M., Ismail, S.M., Fujimoto, Y., Kakinuma, K., Kokawa, N.I. and Morisaki, M. Synthesis and determination of stereochemistry of four diastereoisomers at the C-24 and C-25 positions of 3α,7α,12α,24-tetrahydroxy-5β-cholestan-26-oic acid and cholic acid. Chem. Pharm. Bull. 36 (1988) 134-141.
4. Fujimoto, Y., Kinoshita, T., Oya, I., Kakinuma, K., Ismail, S.M., Sonoda, Y., Sato, Y. and Morisaki, M. Non-stereoselective conversion of the four diastereoisomers at the C-24 and C-25 positions of 3α,7α,12α,24-tetrahydroxy-5β-cholestan-26-oic acid and cholic acid. Chem. Pharm. Bull. 36 (1988) 142-145.
5. Kurosawa, T., Sato, M., Nakano, H., Fujiwara, M., Murai, T., Yoshimura, T. and Hashimoto, T. Conjugation reactions catalyzed by bifunctional proteins related to β-oxidation in bile acid biosynthesis. Steroids 66 (2001) 107-114. [PMID: 11146090]
6. Russell, D.W. The enzymes, regulation, and genetics of bile acid synthesis. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 72 (2003) 137-174. [PMID: 12543708]