Reaction: (1R,6R)-6-hydroxy-2-succinylcyclohexa-2,4-diene-1-carboxylate = 2-succinylbenzoate + H2O
For diagram click here.
Glossary: 2-succinylbenzoate = o-succinylbenzoate = 4-(2-carboxyphenyl)-4-oxobutanoate
Other name(s): o-succinylbenzoic acid synthase; OSB synthase; OSBS; 2-succinylbenzoate synthase; MenC
Systematic name: (1R,6R)-6-hydroxy-2-succinylcyclohexa-2,4-diene-1-carboxylate hydro-lyase (2-succinylbenzoate-forming)
Comments: Belongs to the enolase superfamily and requires divalent cations, preferably Mg2+ or Mn2+, for activity. Forms part of the vitamin-K-biosynthesis pathway.
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number:
1. Sharma, V., Meganathan, R. and Hudspeth, M.E. Menaquinone (vitamin K2) biosynthesis: cloning, nucleotide sequence, and expression of the menC gene from Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 175 (1993) 4917-4921. [PMID: 8335646]
2. Klenchin, V.A., Taylor Ringia, E.A., Gerlt, J.A. and Rayment, I. Evolution of enzymatic activity in the enolase superfamily: structural and mutagenic studies of the mechanism of the reaction catalyzed by o-succinylbenzoate synthase from Escherichia coli. Biochemistry 42 (2003) 14427-14433. [PMID: 14661953]
3. Palmer, D.R., Garrett, J.B., Sharma, V., Meganathan, R., Babbitt, P.C. and Gerlt, J.A. Unexpected divergence of enzyme function and sequence: "N-acylamino acid racemase" is o-succinylbenzoate synthase. Biochemistry 38 (1999) 4252-4258. [PMID: 10194342]
4. Thompson, T.B., Garrett, J.B., Taylor, E.A., Meganathan, R., Gerlt, J.A. and Rayment, I. Evolution of enzymatic activity in the enolase superfamily: structure of o-succinylbenzoate synthase from Escherichia coli in complex with Mg2+ and o-succinylbenzoate. Biochemistry 39 (2000) 10662-10676. [PMID: 10978150]
5. Taylor Ringia, E.A., Garrett, J.B., Thoden, J.B., Holden, H.M., Rayment, I. and Gerlt, J.A. Evolution of enzymatic activity in the enolase superfamily: functional studies of the promiscuous o-succinylbenzoate synthase from Amycolatopsis. Biochemistry 43 (2004) 224-229. [PMID: 14705949]