Reaction: L-serine = pyruvate + NH3
Other name(s): serine deaminase; L-hydroxyaminoacid dehydratase; L-serine deaminase; L-serine dehydratase; L-serine hydro-lyase (deaminating)
Systematic name: L-serine ammonia-lyase (pyruvate-forming)
Comments: A pyridoxal-phosphate protein. This reaction is also carried out by EC 188.8.131.52 threonine ammonia-lyase, from a number of sources. The reaction catalysed probably involves initial elimination of water (hence the enzyme's original classification as EC 184.108.40.206, L-serine dehydratase), followed by isomerization and hydrolysis of the product with C-N bond breakage.
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 9014-27-1
1. Ramos, F. and Wiame, J.-M. Occurrence of a catabolic L-serine (L-threonine) deaminase in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eur. J. Biochem. 123 (1982) 571-576. [PMID: 7042346]
2. Simon, D., Hoshino, J. and Kröger, H. L-Serine dehydratase from rat liver. Purification and some properties. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 321 (1973) 361-368. [PMID: 4750769]
3. Suda, M. and Nakagawa, H. L-Serine dehydratase (rat liver). Methods Enzymol. 17B (1971) 346-351.
4. Sagers, R.D. and Carter, J. E. L-Serine dehydratase (Clostridium acidiurica). Methods Enzymol. 17B (1971) 351-356.
5. Robinson, W.G. and Labow, R. L-Serine dehydratase (Escherichia coli). Methods Enzymol. 17B (1971) 356-360.