Reaction: ATP + D-alanine + poly(ribitol phosphate) = AMP + diphosphate + O-D-alanyl-poly(ribitol phosphate)
Other name(s): D-alanyl-poly(phosphoribitol) synthetase; D-alanine: membrane acceptor ligase; D-alanine-D-alanyl carrier protein ligase; D-alanine-membrane acceptor ligase; D-alanine-activating enzyme
Systematic name: D-alanine:poly(phosphoribitol) ligase (AMP-forming)
Comments: A thioester bond is formed transiently between D-alanine and the sulfhydryl group of the 4'-phosphopantetheine prosthetic group of D-alanyl carrier protein during the activation of the alanine. Involved in the synthesis of teichoic acids.
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number: 9023-65-8
1. Baddiley, J. and Neuhaus, F.C. The enzymic activation of D-alanine. Biochem. J. 75 (1960) 579.
2. Reusch, V.M. and Neuhaus, F.C. D-Alanine:membrane acceptor ligase from Lactobacillus casei. J. Biol. Chem. 246 (1971) 6136-6143. [PMID: 4399593]
3. Perego, M., Glaser, P., Minutello, A., Strauch, M.A., Leopold, K. and Fischer, W. Incorporation of D-alanine into lipoteichoic acid and wall teichoic acid in Bacillus subtilis. J. Biol. Chem. 270 (1995) 15598-15606. [PMID: 7797557]
4. Heaton, M.P. and Neuhaus, F.C. Role of D-alanyl carrier protein in the biosynthesis of D-alanyl-lipoteichoic acid. J. Bacteriol. 176 (1994) 681-690. [PMID: 8300523]
5. Debabov, D.V., Heaton, M.P., Zhang, Q., Stewart, K.D., Lambalot, R.H. and Neuhaus, F.C. The D-alanyl carrier protein in Lactobacillus casei: cloning, sequencing and expression of dltC. J. Bacteriol. 178 (1996) 3869-3876. [PMID: 8682792]